Father David F. McDonald Founder/Pastor 1948-1959
Father McDonald was born on April 29, 1901 in St. Gabriel’s Parish. He was the son of Donald McDonald and Janet McPherson. He had 2 sisters, May and Sara and two brothers Allan and William. He received his high school education at St. Raphael’s West, Ontario. He was a graduate of Loyola College and later completed his studies in theology at the Grand Seminary of Montreal. He was ordained into the priest hood on June 11, 1927 in the Cathedral of Montreal by Mgr. Georges Gauthier.
He served as a curate at the Holy Family Church 1927-1933, St. Agnes 1933-1940 and St. Aloysius 1940-1943. During World War II he served overseas as a chaplain with the RCAF 1943-1946. Upon his return to Montreal he was at St. Malachy’s Church in Snowdon 1946-1948. Later he established for the English-speaking Roman Catholics living in St. Laurent a mission called Our Lady of Fatima Mission in June 1948. Three years later in 1951 he was appointed pastor of the parish after the status of the mission was raised to that of church. In addition Father McDonald gave great thought to the school problem for English Catholics which was consequent to the parish growth. It followed that Immaculata School for English Speaking Catholics was erected and at the same time a new High School for English Catholics was opened in 1957. He died on March 13, 1959.
June 11, 1952 Fr. McDonald celebrated his Silver Jubilee.
Father John Gordon Carroll Pastor 1959-1971
Fr. Carroll was born on August 5, 1898 in Montreal. He was the son of Patrick Carroll and Ellen Brown. He was educated at Loyola College and the Grand Seminary. He was ordained on June 2, 1928 by Archbishop Georges Gauthier in the Cathedral of Montreal His first appointment was as assistant priest at St. Anthony’s Church He served after at Holy Family Parish and was then appointed to the Church of St. Thomas Aquinas where he served for six years as pastor. He became rector of St. Barbara’s Church in 1957. On April 15th, 1959 Father Carroll became pastor of Our Lady of Lady of Fatima. Father Carroll took very ill in the fall of 1970. Father returned in February 1971 but did not regain his health and resigned on March 1, 1971. He died on July 6, 1971.
August 17,1961 Proposal was put forth by Father Carroll to put on an extension on the present rectory.
June 2,1963 Father Carroll celebrated his 35th Anniversary of Holy Priesthood.
Father Russell Anthony Schultz Pastor 1971-2004
Fr. Shultz was born on November 4th,1923 in Verdun. He was baptized in St. Willibrord’s Parish. He was the youngest child of George Schultz and Bride Miller. He has three sisters, Winifred, Marjorie (deceased), Jean and one brother, Gerald. When he was six months old, his father was killed in a grain-elevator accident at work. His mother somehow raised her five children, during the difficult days of the Depression, by teaching at St. Willibrord School and cleaning offices at night. She was a remarkable woman. She died in 1971. Father went to St. Willibrord’s Elementary and High School. He then went on to Loyola College and to the Grand Seminary. In 1953, he received his B.TH, L.TH and his D.TH. from the University of Montreal. There are only a few who have these degrees. Father was ordained June 12, 1949, in St. Willibrord’s Church by Bishop Lawrence P. Whelan.
During the first nine years in the priesthood, he was a curate successively, at St. Willibrord’s, St. Aloysius, St. Augustine’s and Holy Family. Then, for seven years, he was a high school chaplain serving at D’Arcy McGee, Cardinal Newman, Marymount and Holy Cross and Holy Names High Schools. He served as curate from 1962-1965 at Our Lady of Fatima. He has also been diocesan chaplain to the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides and, with the rank of major, to the Royal Canadian Hussars.
In August 1965, he was appointed pastor of St. Dominic’s, and was there for six years. For one-year periods, he was part time chaplain at Cardinal Newman and Holy Names High School. On March 1, 1971, he succeeded Father Gordon Carroll as pastor of Our Lady of Fatima.
Father Schultz was in residence at Our Lady of Fatima in the early 60’s when he was a high school chaplain. Father enjoyed supporting different parish activities like the C.Y.O. dances on Friday nights and the Bible classes every Tuesday.
At a time like this we look back and realize that over the years Father has given us spiritual guidance and strengthens our faith by his practical homilies. He consoles us in our dark days and helps solve our problems. He compliments us when we participate in parish activities or when we give generously in supporting our church. He inspires us to try harder to follow Christ.
Father Schultz said at his 50th Anniversary “Looking back at the 50 years”, he said “I regret any errors on my part that may have hurt anyone and I am grateful to the many who have been kind to me.”
- June 12, 1974 – Fr. Schultz celebrated his Silver Jubilee
- June 12, 1999 – Fr. Schultz celebrated his Golden Jubilee
- June 12, 2004 – Fr. Schultz celebrated his 55th Anniversary of Ordination.
Father Harold Michael Brian Moon Pastor 2005 – 2011
Fr. Moon born Oct 17, 1940 to Harold George Moon and Mary Clare Kennedy. Siblings 7, one of whom is deceased.
Education: Elementary: Windsor, Ont; Summerside, PEI; Trenton, Ontario; and Montreal (St Rita’s Sault School). High School: Cardinal Newman High
University: St Dunstan’s (Charlottetown), Université de Montreal (Seminaire de Philosophie), Grand Seminaire de Montréal. Degrees Ph B., S.T.B., S.T.L.
Pastoral Assignments (Ordained May 13, 1967)
- June – August 31st, 1967, curate at St Aloysius
- Sept 1, 1967 curate at St Edmond of Canterbury, Chaplain to Lakeshore General Hospital, chaplain to the Good Shepherd Sister at Marian Hall.
- Sept 1, 1971, curate at St Monica’s, also in 1973 Assistant Director Catholic Information Centre, Assistant Chaplain Marymount High from December 1974 to September 1975 Administrator St. Monica’s
- September 1, 1975 – March 1977 Curate and Administrator St Augustine of Canterbury Parish and Chaplain of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, ( Still Ass’t Director of the Catholic Information Centre)
- March 1977 – Sept 1 1980 Pastor St Raphael the Archangel Parish in Outremont.
- Sept 1, 1980, Pastor of St Brendan’s Parish, Part time Chaplain John F Kennedy High, in 1983 was asked to take on St Dominic’s Parish as well. In 1985 St Aloysius and St Philip Neri were added as well as the territory of the former St. Marys, the parish having been dissolved..
- Sept 1, 1986 Pastor of St Anthony of Padua Parish
- Sept 1, 1989 Curé of Marie-Reine-de-la-Paix, Roxboro
- Sept 1, 1992 Pastor of St Monica’s
- Sept 1, 1997 Pastor of St Malachy’s with responsibility for St Augustine of Canterbury after Sept 1, 2002
- Sept 1, 2005 Pastor of Our Lady of Fatima
- May 13, 2007 Fr. Moon celebrated his 40th Anniversary of Ordination.
- Feb 15, 2011 Fr. Moon died at the rectory.
Father Sunny Padinharidath Abraham Pastor 2011 – 2015
Father Sunny was born on June 6, 1964 to Abraham and Mary and christened Mathew at St. George’s Church, Chempanthotty, Kannur, Kerala, South India. His beloved mother passed away in 2008. He has three brothers, Antony, Varghese, and Joseph. All are married and live with their own families.
After his elementary studies in St. George’s School and higher secondary in Government High School, Mathamangalam, he joined St. Paul’s Minor seminary. After two years of formation, he proceeded to do his formation in St. Joseph’s Seminary in Mangalore, Karnataka. This seminary which was home to 180 seminarians, from twenty plus states of India, was managed by the Jesuits from India and from abroad. Then in 1990, he was ordained a priest for the diocese of Calicut. Studies
- 1986-1990: BA and BTh
- 1997-1999: MA in English Literature, University of Mysore, Karnataka, India
- 2001-2003: MA in Theology, University of Mysore
- 2004-2005: One year Diploma in Personal/Family Counselling, CEFAM, Ateneo de Manila, Philippines
- 2005-2009: Doctorate in Sacred Theology, Pontifical and Royal University of Santo Tomas, Espana, Manila, Philippines
- 1990-91: Curate at Immaculate Conception, Manantoddy, Kerala
- 1991-1994: Pastor at St. Martin de Porres, Kanakappally and St. Jude’s, Chemancherry, Kerala
- 1994-1999: Pastor, Holy Family, Pattuvam, St. Mary’s, Vellikkeel, Kerala; Chaplain to DSS Generalate; Diocesan Director of Family and Life
- 1999-2004: Holy Cross, Poomala, Wayand,Kerala, Regional Director, BEC( Basic Christian Communities) and KCYM( Catholic Youth Movement)
- 2004: Jan-May: St. Joseph’s Church, Vythiri, Kerala
- 2004-2005: Holy Family, Roxas, Manila, Philippines
- 2005-2009: Chaplain, UERM Medical Canter, Manila
- 2009-2010: Curate, St. Kevin’s, Cotes’ des Neiges, Montreal
- 2010-2011: Curate, St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Richard’s, Montreal
- 2011: Pastor/Administrator, Our Lady of Fatima, Montreal
- 2015: Assigned to Saint John Fisher parish, Montreal
Bishop Thomas Dowd, Pastor 2015 –
Bishop Tom was born on September 11, 1970 in Lachine, QC, Canada. Ordained a priest December 7, 2001. On July 11, 2011 he was nominated to be an Auxiliary bishop for the Archdiocese of Montreal by Pope Benedict XVI. Consecrated bishop on September 10, 2011.